Free Opioid Epidemic Essay Topics & Examples
In the US, 136 people die of an opioid overdose every day. This number quadrupled over the last 20 years, leading to widespread panic among healthcare providers and authorities. With 20 million Americans abusing prescription drugs every year, it looks like the fascination with opioids is impossible to shake. The issue calls for drastic measures, as without help, millions of people will die in the next decade. If you’re ready to take a deep dive into the problem and consider possible solutions, writing an opioid epidemic essay can be a good idea.
Before you decide to brave the topic, ask yourself if you’re ready to handle the gruesome details and horrific statistics. Whether you’ve had a brush with addiction or watched someone in your family deal with an overdose, essays on the opioid epidemic can trigger unpleasant memories and cause psychological issues. Make sure you have the option to back out of the project and seek professional help if you discover that the topic causes distress, anxiety, or depression.
Essay Examples on Opioid Epidemic
- Opioid Epidemic in the United States
- New Jersey's Opiate Issue
- Summary on Stigmatizing Language in News Coverage of the Opioid Epidemic
- Opioid Epidemic as an Health Care Issue
- The Scale of America's Opioid Epidemic Is Shocking
- Drug and Opioid Addiction in People 17-25
- The Opioid Crisis in America
- Policy, Government, and Law in the Prevention of Opioid Overdose
- The Opioid Crisis and Mitigating It Through Youth Education
- How Best Can We Handle the Opioid Crisis?
Unbeatable Opioid Epidemic Topics for Your Essay
You can’t build your paper around the opioid epidemic definition and hope to receive a high grade from a college professor. First, you need to come up with a clever take on the issue and narrow it down to a single pointed question that will catch your professor’s attention. To help you along, we’ve come up with a handful of essay topics related to the opioid epidemic that cover various tangential issues, from the causes to the combined effects of the opioid and pandemic crises. Feel free to use any of the prompts below as they are or tweak them to better fit your idea of a perfect essay:
- The underlying supply and demand-based causes of the opioid crisis. If you’re into opioid epidemic argumentative essays, consider the real culprits of the crisis. You can argue that healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies are to blame as they spurred the increased prescription rates. Or you could argue in favor of the economic crisis being the underlying cause of the epidemic.
- The evolution of the opioid crisis from over the last three decades. For an opioid epidemic research paper, look into the progression from natural and semi-synthetic opioids to heroin and synthetic opioids like fentanyl. Research the differences among the three epidemic waves and highlight the inherent dangers of synthetic opioids mixed into knock-off or illegal drugs.
- The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the opioid crisis. If you’re looking for a fresh take on opioid epidemic essays, browse recent publications and look for overdose statistics over the past couple of years. Address the stay-at-home orders, layoffs, and the disintegration of the social support networks as the causes for the recent surge in opioid overdose deaths.
- The disparity in overdose rates among different racial groups. Consider the effects of ethnicity on the doctors’ willingness to prescribe opioids. Research the factors driving the recent surge in opioid overdoses among the Black, Asian, and Latino population.
- Adoption barriers of medication-assisted treatment for opioid addiction. Research the factors preventing the development of safe consumption sites and the use of physician-administered drugs to reduce the number of rapid overdoses caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Once you’ve chosen your topic, it’s research time. And before you go googling, check out an example of an opioid epidemic essay or two in our database. Take five minutes to look through the samples, and you’ll save yourself hours in the long run. Here, you can steal a couple of sources from the reference sections, borrow smart thesis statements, or adopt core points to support your argument. Flesh out the body of the paper, and you’ll be done with it in no time.
Suppose you’re left with barely a couple of days before you need to turn the paper in. You don’t have to kill yourself with all-nighters to pull it off. Instead, ask for help, and we’ll get our best experts in essays on the opioid epidemic assigned to your case. They have all the best sources and can bring together a strong argument in no time flat. Fire up live chat to learn how we can help you get out of this mess or jump straight to the order form if you’re ready to get this assignment done.