Question 1: Matching Names with Correct Events
- California v. Bakke- California case that upholds affirmative action and allows for race to be considered in admissions.
- Roe v. Wade- Landmark decision, which determined abortion to be a legal option for women up to, a certain point in their pregnancy.
- Grove City v. Bell- Controversial Supreme Court decision which attempted to remove influence granted by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
- Iran-Contra scandal- A highly secretive lease agreement in which the CIA provided aid during the Iran-Iraq War for influence in separate conflicts in Lebanon and Nicaragua.
- Iran hostage crisis- Attempted holding of U.S. embassy workers by Ayatollah Khomeini in retaliation against U.S. support of his ousted predecessor.
- Strategic Defense Initiative- A laser-grid based defense program (Its detractors would dub this program as "Star Wars," a negative reference to its similarities to the popular movie franchise.
- Watergate- A reference to the series of break-ins at the Democratic Party Headquarters and the subsequent cover-up by Nixon's administration, which led to his later resignation.
- Globalization- A reference to the shift from a primarily isolationist economy to the interdependence of a world economy.
- USA Patriot Act- Highly controversial program, which limited civil rights and liberties by granting the U.S. government the right to collect and monitor personal information secretly.
- Fireside Summit- Unexpectedly "friendly" gathering between Reagan and Gorbachev which would set the tone for the end of Communism and the eventual fall of the U.S.S.R.
- Evil Empire- Propagandist terminology referring to the U.S.S.R., coined by Reagan
- Supply-side economics- The intended encouragement of increases in supply and demand through tax cuts for the wealthiest individuals and businesses (Reagan's vocal support of the program led to the more recognizable term "Reaganomics.")
- World Trade Organization- A collection of 135 nations agreeing to increase/support mutual trade by lessening the taxation and laws related to commerce between the member governments.
- North American Free Trade Agreement- An agreement between Canada, Mexico, and the United States to not bar or tax goods shipped between the three neighbors.
- No Child Left Behind- A largely ineffective attempt at government regulation in public schools by the use of universal standards and testing, as opposed to regional profiling, to rank schools and determine the necessary allocation of resources.
Question 2: Ordering Events
Events in Correct Order
- Watergate arrests -1st
- Ford pardons Nixon -2nd
- Iran hostage crisis begins-3rd
- AIDS virus discovered-4th
- Iran-Contra scandal-5th
- Berlin Wall tore down-6th
- PLO peace accords in Oslo-7th
- Oklahoma City bombing-8th
- World Trade Center attack-9th
- Barack Obama elected president-10th
Watergate: Scandal That Brought Down Richard Nixon. (nd). Watergate Info.
Dalby, S. (2011). Ten Years after September 11th and Its Aftermath. Geographic Journal, 177 (3), 198 -202
Richmond, Y. (2010). Cultural Exchange and the Cold War: How the West Won. American Communist History, (9), 61-75
Brown, A. (2007). Perestroika and the end of the Cold War. Cold War History, 7 (1), 1-17
Lecture Readings (nd). Unit Eight Study Guide.
Cite this page
Cold War History Assignment Paper Example. (2022, Jul 05). Retrieved from https://proessays.net/essays/cold-war-history-assignment-paper-example
If you are the original author of this essay and no longer wish to have it published on the ProEssays website, please click below to request its removal:
- Chemistry of Nicotine and Caffeine Addiction
- Conquistadors Essay Example
- Roles of America in Cold War Asia Essay
- Private Ownership of Resources and Assets History Essay
- Leadership Analysis: Martin Luther King Jr. Essay
- Was Reconstruction a Success or Failure?
- Benjamin Franklin and Deborah's Relationship Essay